"If I am the Hare " - Dr.M.R.K.Prasad




Learning Negotiation through stories - Dr.M.R.K.Prasad writes how he would have planned his negotiation strategy if he was the Hare, in the Hare and  Fox Story.

___________________________
Did you read the ‘Hare and Fox’ story by Dr. B.S. Patil? Well let me take the story a little more forward.
As the old adage goes, a story has a moral in it. What did you learn from ‘A Hare and A Fox’? Trust your instincts, Right? But then it all depends on who you would like to be in the story.

Who would you like to be in the story, Fox or Hare? I am sure no one wants to be the Hare. However who you are in the story is not always a choice, rather it’s a situation that puts you in a role.
Let us put the spot lights on and bring the fox and hare, quite famous by now – thanks to Dr. B. S. Patil, to the negotiation table. I place them now before you as study material for you, to assess, to analyze and to learn from. And I urge the prospective negotiators to think in the lines of principled negotiation.

The Situation Before You: If I am the Hare what I could have done to save myself?

Well, this is my take on it.

Did the Hare follow a principled negotiation? I am not sure.
If I was the Hare surely I would have looked into my pockets as well as of the Fox.  I would have weighed my options.  More importantly I would have identified my strengths and weaknesses

My Strength: I am the owner of the burrow estate. The Fox has not yet realized that I could be his prey and therefore he had not decided to finish me off.  Lady Fox is still in a mood to negotiate. She still believes that she needs to make a deal with me in order to live here. 

My Weakness: From my side, I would be aware of my own vulnerability, that I am a prey and not a predator.  I would also realize that it is just a matter of time that the Fox realizes her true nature and position that she is a predator and need not negotiate at all. 

Reality Check: I dare not fight against the Fox at any cost. So I would look for alternatives to decide my BATNA (Best alternative to negotiated agreement). I know the hard reality, Fox is a Fox and Hare is a Hare. And now, I am the HARE.  My bargaining power is low. If I don’t accept the offer I may be forced to leave my burrow.  Fox is definitely stronger than me and fighting with her will be fatal to me. Do I have any other support factors or any of my friends to turn to? Would my friend the Rodent be of any help? I don’t think he can deal with Fox.  Hmm.. I understand I have no one to help me.

My BATNA (Best Alternative To Negotiated Agreement):  Leave the burrow and look for another one. I am sure it is difficult to find a new one in such a short time.  I think the offer of protection by the Fox is great because I often had a problem with several other predators. 

My WATNA (Worst Alternative To Negotiated Agreement): On the other hand if I don’t agree with the Fox, what is my WATNA? I may be killed by the Fox. Better to be martyred than a coward?  Who would care about me if I die? What will happen to my family? So better I would agree with the offer made by the Fox. 
But I am also aware that the Fox may change her agreed position and could be a threat to my family.  So simultaneously I need to look for alternative burrow and watch out for any slightest hint from Fox, for then alone I would be able to protect myself and my family. 

The Hare’s Tips For negotiators
How To Protect Your Interests When The Other Party Is Way Too Powerful For You
I.                    As a negotiator you need to assess your strengths and weaknesses. 
II.                 Do not fail to identify your weakness as much as your strength.
III.               Based on what you have identified, define your BATNA and improve it.
IV.              Then look at your WATNA and decide about the offer. 
V.                If your BATNA is weak you better be ready to agree. 
VI.              It is important particularly when the other party is powerful. 

Hare’s Mistake: The Hare in the story did not think of any alternative and recklessly waited to see what would happen if he refuses Fox’s offer, and thought of deciding based on fox’s response. Unfortunately he did not remain to decide at all.

Lesson Learnt: Take a decision only after exploring the alternatives and assessing the consequence of each alternative, especially when the other party is very powerful. Else you might be just wiped off.   


Comments

  1. Hahaha...instinct & reality....live another day to fight...yes needs a steady head to balance our intrests

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts