A Hare and a Fox - Dr. B.S.Patil


Dr.B.S.Patil explains a fundamental rule of negotiation like a Panchathantra Story

____________________________________

A young and energetic fox had just bid adieu to her mother and brothers and began her maiden journey into the world of jungle. Mother had warned her about the competitive, fierce and un-pardoning jungle and had given her only one advice, ‘dear, always believe your instincts’.

After cross-country of half day, she decided to rest. She looked around the place. It was lush green. Huge trees were competing with each other to reach the sky or may be the sun. The fallen leaves had made the land fertile, as an evidence, ample mushrooms, flowering plants and grass. The sound of flowing water was faintly falling on her ears.

Without giving a second thought, she decided that this will be her new home. And by instinct, she inaugurates in full swing the process of marking her territory in her traditional method of leaving scent on the trees.

Suddenly she heard a voice, ‘what are you doing?’ Stunned, she looked around. She didn’t see anyone.  ‘I am here, can’t you see me?’, again came the voice. A fully grown, big hare was standing on a rock. The poise gave an indication that he was the ‘man of the house’.
Fox turned back and faced the hare with a question mark on her face. Hare retorted, ‘how dare you to make this place your own?’

For the fox, it was the first time in her life; a prey talking to the predator. With a lot of effort, she gained back her composure and said in a calm and soothing voice, ‘I am sorry, I was not aware that it’s your home’.

The apology had a minimum impact on hare, his posture didn’t change. As a final statement the hare said, ‘get out of my home’.

Maintaining her calm, the fox turned ready to leave.  The next moment she turned back said, ‘territory is only for predators and not for prey’.  It sounded more like an enquiry rather than a statement.

With least concern, the hare didn’t bother to reply. Fox came up with the next statement. ‘Hare, I am different from you. My needs are different from you and I will never compete with you in any manner, neither for food nor for partner. Than why can’t we live together and make it OUR home’.

Hare’s poise had loosened. It looked like, he was open for new ideas, and most importantly he was open for a dialogue.

Fox made a second attempt. ‘As I am a predator, I can give you protection from intruders. I will be a guard for our home’.

Hare looked convinced, but he was reluctant to agree for anything. In an attempt to convince the hare, the fox continued ‘I can give you and your family complete protection. You can have bigger colony of hare, I don’t mind’.

The hare seemed to be appreciating the help extended. But he just said, ‘you stop marking the territory and wait for me. I will consult my family members and let you know’.

Hare disappeared into the burrow and sat their quietly.

It was a good offer, he thought. It would free him from the life inside burrow. He would be able to breathe fresh air and see the horizon anytime he wished. He would be able to lead much cleaner life away from mud and dirt. It was a refreshing thought for him.

But then he realised that the fox is getting a home, rent free. ‘Why should I sacrifice?’, he thought.  Fox will get a good place to live. The stream being nearby, she will have endless supply of food. Why should I give her this luxury? She would lead a comfortable life at my cost. Why should I bear the burden?

At this moment, the fox was sitting below the tree, relaxing in its cool shade. She was trying to recollect her mother’s advice and she was worried about next development.
If hare refuses to accommodate her, where she will go? What will be the plan B?

At that moment, the hare jumped out of the burrow and announced, ‘I am not going to let you stay in my house. Get out of my house straightaway’.

The fox stood up, shoulder drooping. She looked dejected.

She then suddenly jumped over the hare and grabbed his neck making a cracking sound breaking his neck. The hare died. Fox said to herself, ‘follow your instinct’.

One of the basic principles of Negotiation is: ‘You look into your own pocket, rather than peeping into other parties pocket.  


Comments

  1. Very well described Sir, I could actually imagine its applicability in the negotiations and settlements we have in our Industrial practise with employers as well as employees during conciliations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Prashant. This principle helps in give and take ....as you concentrate on your achievements

      Delete
  2. My question is why the Fox wanted negotiation when he knew that IPC is not applicable to him

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice & well put negotiation story ..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts